A Window into America's Past
Old Louisville Guide

Click here to see the same scene at night St James Court
Belgravia Court

And the St. James Court Art Show

 On the site of the former Southern Exposition of 1883-1887, St. James and Belgravia Courts are among the most recognized landmarks of Louisville. 

The Exposition was essentially the World Fair of the time.  Opened in 1883 by President Chester A. Arthur, it ran annually for five years, proclaiming the rebirth of Southern industry, and highlighting the innovations of the day.   Thomas Edison personally turned on the switch to light the Exposition with the largest display of electric lighting outside of New York, and the electric trolley car premiered here, riding delighted passengers through lighted tunnels on the adjoining DuPont estate, now Central Park.

Click for enlargement - 91kb (45 sec @ 28.8kbps)

Click on the image for enlargement:
91kb / 45 second load @ 28.8kbps

At the end of the Exposition in 1887, the expo buildings were dismantled, and in their place St. James, Belgravia, and Fountain Courts were born.  Together, they make one of the most beautiful and recognizable areas of the city. 

On St. James Court, stately Victorian homes make an oval frame around two lush shaded greens centered by a magnificent bronze fountain.   Belgravia Court and Fountain Court are "walking courts" with homes facing each other across a park-like green, away from traffic and and other urban noise. At night, the area is lit by the soft glow of gas light:  a setting to soothe the soul.

St. James Court and the entire surrounding area come to life in a remarkable way every year on the first weekend of October for the St. James Court Art Show.   After over four decades, it has become one of the largest open air art shows in the country, with about 700 artists exhibiting and selling paintings, drawings, sculptures, textiles,  art glass, pottery, jewelry and much more.  Several hundred thousand people make their way to Old Louisville each year to enjoy the event as well as the fall colors and elegant Victorian surroundings.

The St. James Art Show is free.  Food and refreshments are available and proceeds are used for the restoration, beautification and promotion of this beautiful neighborhood, the The Conrad/Caldwell House as well as local charities.


Click on the thumbnail for enlargement and more

Go to the St James Court Art Show Page

Go to the Belgravia Court Page

Go to the Old Louisville Guide Home Page


St. James Art Show Hours:  First Weekend in October
Friday and Saturday 10:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M.
Sunday 10:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.

More picture's and info on St. James Court by Robin Garr at Louisville.com

Old Louisville Guide Home Page
Old Louisville National Historic District

Home, Newsletter, News/Press Releases, Old Louisville Business Directory, History, Historic Pictures, Vintage Post Card Views,  Spring, Autumn, TerraServer Images, Maps, Calendar of Events, Walking Tours, Architectural Styles, Architect's Corner, St James Court, Belgravia Court, St. James Art ShowMuseums, Libraries, Literature, Churches, Bed and Breakfast Inns, Restaurants-Taverns, Recipes, Visitors' Page, Resources, Old Louisville Places, Our Lost Landmarks, Old Louisville, the Way it Was, Louisville Links, Feedback

Search WWW Search oldlouisville.com

(there are now over 1300 web pages on OldLouisville.com)
Click here for a comprehensive search of all 2800+ web pages on this server



Old Louisville National Historic Preservation District
America's Victorian Treasure

You are Visitor Number Hit Counter to the Old Louisville Guide since February 1998
We thank you all for coming by!